Wednesday, December 25, 2013

February 4, 2013


he other day when i told a taxi driver my name, he said, "ALL RIGHT pretty blue eyes!!" and if i hadn`t heard it the first time, he made sure to repeat it at least 7 more times. 

yesterday we greeted a woman that we`d met and shared with at her door for a few minutes the week before. when we asked how she was doing, she first said. "good, good." but immediately admitted "actually, i`m just OK. i have diarrhea." uhhhhh. it was pretty awkward, but things like that have happened so many times here in the mission that i think i`m getting used to it. chileans are just so honest!

on our way to the mall today (where we do internet) an older man approached my companion and i and confessed that he was a less-active member. we talked to him a bit and as we tried to say goodbye, he mentioned that he had a gift for guessing people`s age...in springs...as in, how many springs (yes, the season) they have. he said, because of the beauty of my eyes, i must be 22 years old (good guess!)...but he then added, "that`s a lot of springs for someone like you to still be single!" WHAT? not sure how to react, i smiled, thanked him, and my companion and i continued quickly on our way. i love these priceless experiences i``m having. haha. life as a missionary is great.

speaking of life as a missinary, this last week has been especially strange in the sense that i can really FEEL that things are coming to an end. it`s a terrible, ugly thought, because the last thing i want is to be trunky, but i can actually feel the difference in my body and mind in terms of tiredness. also, my companion and i have the same time in the mission, so we`ll be ending together, and we have to be very careful not to let ourselves get distracted with what is to come after the mission. i haven`t lost in the least bit my drive nor energy for the work, and love what i`m doing more than ever, but i can feel more at this point the opposition working to tire or distract us. this morning, though, i read a couple of scriptures that helped a lot:

2 corintians 4:6, 8-9, 16-17
For God, who acommanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath bshined in our hearts, to give the clight of the knowledge of the dglory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
 We are atroubled on every side, yet not distressed; we areperplexed, but not in bdespair;
aPersecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not bdestroyed;
 16 For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the ainward man is renewed day by day.
 17 For our light aaffliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and beternal cweight of glory;
even though my body may be tired, i experience a renewel EACH DAY as i pray, search the scriptures and preach my gospel, am obedient, share my testimony with others, serve, and repent. i am also reminded that every moment of tribulation will bring a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory. i know that this life is my time to prepare to meet god in the heavens, and that he is shaping me into who HE knows and needs me to be. i love my heavenly father for his patience as i make mistakes, and his confidence in me that i can overcome my weaknesses. as it says in MOSIAH 24:14, I know that christ is with me in my afflictions, and will ease the burdens on my shoulders.

i love this gospel. i love you , family, for SO many reasons, and am so grateful to have you. don`t give up. this life is about PERSERVERING and ENJOYING the journey. ¡vamos!

les quiero,
hermana wright

No comments: